Enjoy festive blooms in your home this winter with the perfect project for any age or skill level. Plant an amaryllis! It’s fun, it’s easy, and the results are so rewarding.
Come to Squak Mt to select your amaryllis bulbs. (See article on 2014 amaryllis). At home store in a warm, dry area if not planting immediately. The bulbs need to be warm to begin to send up shoots.
- Select a vessel that is 1-2” larger than the bulb. Use a container you already have or use a clean tin can. Decorate the tin can any way you like. Wrapped in burlap with a pretty ribbon. Painted. Glittered. Festooned with holiday stickers. It’s up to you.
- Fill with potting soil and a tablespoon of Hendrikus Organics fertilizer.
- Place bulb root side down in dirt, so 2/3 is buried and 1/3 is above the soil.
- Keep the soil moist and set in a warm, well lit area.
- Once you see green shoots, move to a sunny, warm window. Amaryllis like bright, warm light.
- Once it begins to bloom rotate often so all the flowers get sunlight.
- Enjoy for yourself or give as a gift.