2015 Container Design for Autumn
Refresh tired containers on your deck or entryway with tones of blue and burgundy as we celebrate the arrival of cooler nights and the fall season. The designers at Squak Mt have created our exclusive recipe for your enjoyment. Contrasting textures of fine leaves, wide foliage and graceful fronds will add interest for months to come. Dual tones of silvery blues and deep reds, create a sophisticated, contemporary statement. Partial or filtered sun exposures will be optimal for this design, although during autumn the amount of sun exposure your pot receives is not critical.
All of the plants in our design are grouped together at Squak Mt. to make it quick and easy for you to select them. Size and number of plants can be adapted for any size pot. The quantities in this recipe fit a pot approximately 16-18” in diameter. Our designers have also selected blue toned containers that we have pre-planted with this design, so that you may take them home complete and ready to enjoy. Our friendly staff would be pleased to assist you in creating containers that welcome guests to your home with fresh color and texture.
- ‘Thread leaf’ Heavenly Bamboo (Nandina d. filamentosa) – 1 plant – Nandina are well behaved evergreen shrubs. This variety has intricate, fine leaves growing only 12-24” high.
- Carex ‘Blue Zinger’ – 1 plant – Evergreen soft grassy foliage. Spreads slowly in the landscape to form a blue mat. 12” x 12”.
- ‘Berggarten’ Sage – 1 plant – Soft gray toned leaves on this beloved herb are ideal for culinary and ornamental use. When spring arrives, move sage to a sunny spot.
- ‘Bowles’ Periwinkle (Vinca minor) – 3 plants – Graceful draping evergreen groundcover. Dark green glossy leaves will cascade over your pots’ edge. Violet blue blooms in spring
- Pansies or Violas – 3 plants – Abundant blooms despite cold nights. Consider light blue flowers from our homegrown crop..
- ‘Obsidian’ Coral Bells (Heuchera) – 1 plant – Deepest purple leaves with a glossy sheen on scalloped leaves. Airy blooms in spring. 10” H x 16” W.
- Hardy Mum – 1 plant – A sturdy perennial featuring long lasting blooms. Consider our homegrown ‘Lava Red’ with opulent red petals
- Daffodil ‘Thalia’ – Nodding, petite pure white, fragrant flowers in spring. 12” tall. (Place bulbs first before planting the rest of this recipe “on top” of your bulbs.)