Flower blooms in early spring announce that the reign of cold and gray will soon be replaced with warmer days. Allow our exclusive container recipe “Early Expectations” to bring smiles to your porch and patio as you herald the coming of spring. The designers at Squak Mt have selected tones of deep red, yellow, blue and pink to blend with interesting varied foliage textures in our container recipe.
This design can be grown in nearly any light condition through April. Plants in this recipe can be easily transplanted into garden beds when you elect to celebrate the summer season in your container. If you elect to maintain the pot throughout the year, a partial sun location would be ideal.
All of the plants in our design are displayed together at Squak Mt. to make it quick and easy for you to select them. The quantities in this recipe fit a pot approximately 16-18” in diameter. We are happy to help you adapt our recipe for any size pot you may already have.
The designers at Squak Mt. have also selected containers that we have pre-planted with this design, so that you may take them home complete and ready to enjoy.
- Mountain Pepper (Drimys) – 1 plant – A narrow leafed evergreen, featuring new growth that pushes out coppery red before the leaves turn a deep green. Stunning red stems throughout the year accent the rich foliage. Sun or partial sun. Can grow 8’ x 4’ with time.
- Te ta te Miniature daffodil – 2 plants – Cheerful, bright yellow blooms on this petite favorite. Guaranteed to bring smiles.
- Hellebores ‘Pink Marble’ – Purple stems feature marble shaped rose colored buds that open to creamy green blooms. A tough, shade loving perennial. 6-12” high.
- Primroses – 2 plants – Homegrown at Squak Mt. for you. These perennials add wonderful color to the early spring garden. Consider wine red blooms for this design.
- Vinca minor ‘Bowles’– 3 plants – Bright blue flowers and small oval shaped green leaves spill over the sides of your pot to create a waterfall effect. An effective evergreen ground cover.
- Himalayan Maidenhair Fern – 1 plant – Soft, airy texture that adds textural interest and delicate elegance on cold hardy evergreen leaves. 6-12” high.
- Pussy Willow branches – Add vertical interest to your container with cut branches. Pussy willows feature soft, furry “flower buds” that add a touch of whimsical softness.
- Incorporate a piece of seasonal festive garden art – such as a nest or bird.